Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What to get a man for Father's Day!

This is more for the benefit of my wife. Multiple times a year I am thrown into a panic. These times are designated by any occasion where I need to get a gift for my wife, or plan something. These days include Christmas, the anniversary, Valentines day, Mother's day, her Birthday, or the day after I do anything stupid. I don't like the pressure of having to buy something, I would much rather just get her something when I just want to do it, like a general "just because I love you day."

So I am assuming that some women out there are in a rut as far as what to get your man for father's day, here's a little advice. Toys.

Seriously, it sound stupid but we want toys. I'm not talking Ninja Turtles or Legos (although the Star Wars Legos are pretty awesome) we want something that we can play with. We don't want anything really practical. We want something that we can physically play with. Here are some of the categories.

1. Electronics: This is the easiest category. If it lights up, beeps, or moves mechanically, we want it. Phones, Tablets, TV's stuff like that is AWESOME!

2. Sports Equipment: This is a little more difficult because it takes a little more research. You actually have to listen to us talk about the other thing that we think about most, Sports. Sports equipment is like make-up for you women, we like to collect it. It doesn't matter if we don't use it everyday. We will also go in stages where we really like a sport for a phase, and then move on. Like when I was younger I LOVED golf. I still like golf but don't go hardly at all. Right now I LOVE cycling, and the more cycling gear I can get, the happier I am. There is no such thing as enough sports equipment.

3. Due to the family friendly nature of this blog I am not going to name the third category. Just know that we want it, we won't return it, and we will never say no to it (unless we are unconscious, drugged, or possessed by the devil).

4. Little additions to that hobby we love. I LOVE photography. Thats why I decided to do it for a career and I love getting photo gear. There are little things that we like, whether it's fly fishing, model building, sewing (there are some dudes who sew) and getting us stuff that supports that is like saying that you approve of our hobby. We like that.

5. Tickets: I know this isn't a toy, but it's close. When I say tickets though, it needs to be something that we want to go see. Sporting Events are probably the safest. Once again it's like you are approving of our sports addiction and giving us permission to watch it.

So here's your advice. Now if anyone out there can do the same, except on the female side, I would really appreciate it. Kara's birthday is coming up.


2 comments:

  1. First of all, I think it's a cop-out for guys to say you'd rather just buy presents "just because" than on specified holidays because most guys don't do this nearly as much as they think they do. The reason they have these designated days. But I do have to give you credit that women are harder to shop for than men. I think gift cards are good because the money is already spent so they don't have to feel guilty about buying clothes they don't really "need" at their favorite store, since it's already been spent at that store. Or anything to support her hobby is a plus as well. Tickets to a broadway show or something might also be good. Not too far off from your own list, just think what your wife likes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked the wife again today what she wanted, and she said she wanted clothes. I hit a home run (supposedly) for mothers day because I luckily picked things that she liked and were in her size.
    I told her that I wanted to get her somethting else because I am scared that she will not like what I want and I didn't want to just say "Happy Birthday, let's go shop for your present." She said that sounded like an excellent idea, whereas if she had said that we were clothes shopping on my birthday, I would have asked shortly thereafter "What did I do wrong?"

    ReplyDelete