Thursday, June 13, 2013

What to do with Mollie.

Today was one of those days where I felt like I didn't get anything done, but I really did, but it still doesn't make me feel good. I don't know if anyone else has experienced that, but I have, I just did, and I  am still awake from all the Mountain Dew I drank from my drive home from Logan to Provo (had to teach tonight) that I can't sleep. I'm still tired, but awake, so if this gets a little crazy or if I confess to something I shouldn't, don't tell anyone OK.

So this morning was the beginning of the whole issue. Dishes weren't done (from yesterday) Kara was off at school getting edumacated, and all the kids wanted to go outside, Mollie especially. The house needed to be cleaned, Nikki was semi-grounded from outside for playing pranks on her friends, and Lukas was being a little whiney (and when Lukas is whiney, it's like he went back a year and forgot how to do everything, like picking up a cup, going to the bathroom, walking.)

My goal today (this is how I determine if I accomplished anything, is I set goals) was to clean Lukas and Mollie's room. It has fallen into some disrepair as of late, meaning that it was pretty much a disaster. Toys everywhere, clothes on the floor, thankfully no used diapers anywhere (that's one thing I cannot stand) so we began the task. The only problem, Mollie. Well, let's just say, that she likes to "help". Helping for Mollie is a lot like the law of entropy (I learned about this back when I wanted to be a dentist). The law of entropy states that everything is in a constant state of decay, meaning that everything is falling apart, some more slowly than others. Mollie is the catalyst (speeder upper) of the law of entropy. I fold some laundry, she "helps" put it away by grabbing one corner, dragging it to a room (doesn't necessarily have to be the right one) and tossing it in.

I had to do something with Mollie. So I put her in her crib (yes she is still in her crib, and she will stay in her crib until she learns how to escape). In order to make her not scream, I also gave her the iPad. This quieted her down quite quickly. Eventually I got done with Mollie and Lukas's room and moved on to another task, when I realized that the house was quiet... Too quiet. I knew all the kids were in the house because the chain was still on the door, but where were they. Now if you know anything about two years olds, quiet is the most dangerous sound you can hear. But Mollie was in her crib, what could she be into. Then I saw this scene.


Seriously, I couldn't be mad, with the exception that I did think that they might break the crib. 


And just for your viewing pleasure, this is the sky last night while I was driving home from work in Logan.

3 comments:

  1. Frustrating, and adorable, and I SO GET IT. Story of my life, only I just have one little rascal (who, by the way, is 2-and-a-half and still in his crib despite his daily requests for a big boy bed). I decided to make the most of Evan's "help" by giving him special chores, like dusting, putting away the utensils, etc. Even things that aren't chores, we satisfy his desire to lend a hand by calling it his "job" — as in, "It's your job to turn off the fan," "It's your job to choose a book." It goes a long way, let me tell you. As for feeling like you don't get anything done... It's all about adjusting your expectations. I don't mean lowering your standards, I mean cutting yourself some slack and being stoked that you even got one thing done when the day has been rough. It's a survival skill, but it works. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to school with Kara online at USU for our undergrad and actually got to meet her at graduation....So, I am on Kara's end. I go to Grad school in Fresno and my husband is home (and he works full time) with my two teenage boys. That picture was HYSTERICAL!!! Please do not get in touch with my husband. I NEVER want to see pictures of ANYTHING while I am gone! :0 Oh, and great job being a supportive, active husband who loves his family. We could use more of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, my "goal" today was to get dressed. Whew! Accomplished that one, unlike my neighbor (just borrowed some cream cheese from him, hasn't put on pants yet). So I see where you are coming from. Some days I just feel like watching storm chasers while eating kit kats dipped in Nutella.

    Jennifer, your husband and I actually go to therapy together, secretly of course so don't tell anyone. He tells me all about your boys. Just be glad your house hasn't burned down yet. I hear the weather in Fresno is lovely.

    ReplyDelete