Monday, April 8, 2013

The Dentist

Lukas had a cavity. Just a little one, in the back on one of his molars. So we take him to the dentist and get it fixed right? Well, let me tell you a little bit about the family dental history (on my wife's side) and it is not pretty.

First off, I never had to have braces. My wife did. There was a time when I was little where I didn't brush my teeth for like three months. No cavities. My wife is a constant brusher, flosser, mouth washer etc and has been her entire life. She has been to the dentist more times in the past three years than I have been ever. Each time it's either a cavity, or root canal, or something. My most severe trip to the dentist was when I was in 5th grade my friend Dan pushed me while I was standing at the urinal (it was funny at the time trust me) and I smacked my tooth on the porcelain wall behind it and broke a tooth. Had to have that fixed. He got grounded for that by the way.

So needless to say, I have the non-maintenance teeth, and my wife had the high maintenance teeth (the only thing high maintenance about her, I love you babe). It goes through her family though. Here sister bit down on a dentist drill bit when she was little and did all sorts of damage (physical and psychological). Later that day she was having her picture taken (logical I know) and the photographer asked her to show her teeth and she just started crying (because the dentist asked to do the same thing). Her PTSD is another story altogether. She is also the only person who really needs to drive a hummer, for protection (later).

So we were worried about whose teeth Lukas was going to have, Mine or Kara's. We bother hoped that he would get my teeth and Kara's eyes (my prescription is so thick you can eat soup out of my glasses). It looks like Lukas got both. The kid can see things at such a distance that no one sees them until he points them out to us. And the kids teeth, amazing.

We prepped him real good too. We told him how exciting the dentist was and that he gets to wear a really cool super hero mask (the funny gas) and watch a movie on the ceiling, and that he gets a cool toy after the dentist is done. You can see how this can be dangerous, because if he has a bad experience he's not going to believe a word we say ever again. But it worked. He didn't cry, he actually ENJOYED it! When he was done he jumped off the chair and said "Can I have my toy?" He then proceeded to tell the Dentist about Spiderman.

I felt a little bad because I had to take Mollie out of the room because, Mollie being Mollie, she was grabbing everything. So here I am leaving my son (he had his mom so that was great) to an unknown fate. Mollie on the other hand almost stabbed herself with Dental tools. She is one of those kids who grabs everything within reach, no matter what it is. Anyway, here are some pics of Lukas's toy (not spiderman, the Top) and his newly fixed tooth.
I took these with my new phone, so please don't judge on focus, exposure, color, anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment