Thursday, March 21, 2013

Looking for a job

So with this new chapter of our life coming up, certain changes need to be made. First off is we need some way to make some income. As of right now the only thing we have that will travel with us is some freelance work that I do from home, and possibly a graduate assistantship that Kara has applied for. Not a lot to go on to feed a family of 5. It's only been a little over a week since Kara found out about grad school and the fact that we are moving, and I know it usually takes longer than that to find employment, but holy crap it's been tough.
One of the reasons for this is probably due to the fact that I will pretty much be doing a student work schedule (because while my wife is at school I will be with the kids) so I can only work odd hours. I mean there are lots of ads out there for full time during the day positions, and I avoided those at first, but as we get closer I'm pretty much applying for everything. I'm checking out jobster, ksl.com, indeed, and craigslist. I was actually tempted to apply for a hand model position the other day, just to see what my chances would be. I am grateful that I still have the freelance work, but I know it would make my wife and myself much more sane to just know that we will have a positive influx of money instead of living off student loans for the next two years (not fun and not a good idea).
I did apply at one place that called me back the next day, but they called because they thought I was interested in their product (I had called to talk to HR and got the sales guy instead). I also tried to get on at the sister school of the college I work for right now, but after talking to the Dean there, they're actually laying off faculty. Not in my department, but probably not the best time to get a job there.
I'm looking for a job in photography/graphic design/anything but a call center/etc. So if anyone knows of a job out there let me know.

1 comment: