Sunday, March 24, 2013

I fell on my bike, and my bike came with me.

So a little while ago my brothers and I decided to "compete" in this event called the Spudman. It's a triathlon that consists of a mile swim down the snake river, a 25 mile bike ride, and a 10K.  They're pretty fun and I have done triathlons before, but never one this long. Anyway, this event is coming up in July and so in order to prepare for it you have to start training several months in advance. Well, my training for the spudman has been somewhat limited as of late. Let me explain.
Two weeks ago I did an 8 mile run (I know, I freakin rock) and afterwards I just could not shake off that exhausted feeling and I eventually got sick. Went to bed early that night, almost got to miss church the next day (I should have milked it a little more), and basically it took me about a week to get back out and train. Well, the monday after the week of non-training, we decided to go to this indoor trampoline park as a family because my daughter had won a gift certificate at school for spending time with the family (We are the type of family everyone strives to be ;)). So we get to the trampoline park and we sign all the waivers and seriously like 5 minutes into it, I am just jumping from one trampoline to the next, and I don't get enough distance, and I land on the "padded" part between the trampolines, roll my ankle, collapse, and almost throw up because of the pain.

I did not work out this last week.

I could barely walk the first day. I had to have Kara help me get in the shower the first day, and my foot swelled up to the size of a softball. Oh and it turned purple, that was a fun show n tell.
So it's been about a week since the trampoline incident. Everytime I get on facebook there are a lot of those motivational images that say stuff that basically says that running will solve all my problems, and that sleeping in is bad, yada yada yada. Normally I am pretty active, getting up at least once a month,  week to run, bike and swim. I even have a GPS watch. I mean nothing says I'm serious than a GPS watch right? I usually wear it around just so people can think "Whoa, he must work out," then they look at me and think "He must have stolen it".  So it's Saturday and I am feeling very ansty to get out and do something, and I can't run, and I really don't want to swim, and I bought a new bike, so biking it is.

Whenever I go cycling (another pro term) I usually take at least one of the kids with me. Today it was my son, and I put him in the bike trailer. Also, I ride clipless, which is very pro of me, but the term doesn't really make sense. Because to ride clipless, you actually have to put clips on your shoes. It's kind of like the Unsharp mask in photoshop. It does the opposite of what it says. Anyway, I set up the trailer, get my son in the back with his helmet on, the ipad to watch Wreck It Ralph, and then I set my GPS watch on my bike, and I clip in. I am ready to go, but before I take off my wife asks me to check on our daughter at a neighbors house. So Now, I am clipped in, GPS is doing it's thing, Wreck it Ralph is Wrecking, and I am cycling two doors down across the street to the neighbors house.

I don't know why I bothered clipping in to go such short of a distance.

We arrived.
We stopped.
I attempted to clip out.
I did not clip out.
The bike wobbled.
The bike fell.
I fell.
The bike and I fell in unison.
I landed on the driveway.
I am still clipped in.
A barely discernible obscenity escapes my lips.
I quickly look around to see who witnessed this.
I then look at my son to make sure he has not just learned a new word.
I clip out my left foot.
My right foot is the one with the sprained ankle.
It's the one I couldn't clip out in time.
I still finish my ride.
GPS still working fine.
Wearing it to church today.

No comments:

Post a Comment