Monday, March 25, 2013

Dumpster Diving for Boxes

Since we are moving, and moving soon, we are in dire need of some boxes. So like anyone does when they need some help, we post something on facebook, and one of my good friends from the mission era came through with  a tip on some old garment boxes that no one was using. We just had to go pick em up... In Ogden. It's only about 45 minutes from our house so we decided to take a short little jaunt this morning and go pick em up. With Nikki gone at school, we moved the two youngest kids to the captains chairs in the minivan, and then lowered the back seat down to give us an SUV type cargo area.
Well we got to the site, and, well all the boxes were in a dumpster. Not like barely in a dumpster, I had to get in it to get them. Luckily it was a recycling only, so there wasn't anything too gross in there. We lucked out pretty good, even though it was a little difficult jumping in with a sprained ankle.

So the funny part of the story was as we were finishing up, one box had a bunch of just odds and ends pieces, so we dumped them back in the dumpster, and some guy comes up and says "Did you pay to use that?" all accusatory and not in a real nice tone. I didn't really know what to say except "We're not dumping, we're taking." Shoot I just admitted to being a dumpster diver to a complete stranger. So I felt kind of dumb. The guy then asks "Oh, I was just wondering if I could take the boxes off your hands, but if your not dumping, then sorry." Was this man a fellow dumpster diver? A kindred spirit? If we had shown up two minutes later, would we have switched roles? So I can now add dumpster diving to my list of strange things that I have done. Even after I laughed at the sign on the dumpster that stated "Do not occupy".


No comments:

Post a Comment