Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I'm a stay at home dad!

So here's the story, a few years ago I decided to uproot my family and move them to a little college town so that I could pursue a graduate degree in photography. During the course of my studies my wife felt impressed that she needed to return to school and finish her undergraduate degree. After we graduated together, I got a job teaching Graphic Arts at a local college, along with some freelance work, and my wife prepared herself for graduate school. She applied to two Universities and got into the one that required us to move. So in the next 6 weeks we will be uprooting our family once again, only this time the roles are going to be reversed. My wife will be hob-nobbing with faculty and collegiate associates, and I will be at home making sure my daughter doesn't electrocute herself while keeping up with the laundry, doing hair (sorry to my kids in advance), running kids to soccer, dance, tumbling, friends houses. Also cooking food that is hopefully edible, buying the groceries, balancing the budget (wait, nevermind I'll let Kara do that still). Basically it's my turn to nurture the family and maintain the house, on the inside. Also during this whole time I am hoping to land some type of part time teaching job plus continue my freelance art work to support the family. So I would say that the plate is full, but I am excited about it. Seriously, how many dads get this type of an opportunity? Not many. I get to spend time with my kids everyday, and not just watch them, play with them, teach them and really bond with them on a completely different level than before. True there will be tantrums, timeouts, and the occasionally Barbie Doll head ripped off and put on a leg, but there will also be hugs, and soccer victories, dance recitals, stories, and bedtime.
Also my wife bought me season tickets to both Football and Basketball at my favorite University, so that helps too.
Welcome to my adventure.

1 comment:

  1. That's great! What a great adventure you guys are going to have! Uncle Larry may have some possible work for you if needed in web design and web development programming. It's all done online too and is pretty flexible. Let me know if you're interested and he can talk to you more about it. Thanks and good luck! -Rebecca Dalsing (Larry and Buffie's daughter)

    ReplyDelete