Sunday, February 22, 2015

Boys (not mine)

So this is a post that I didn't think I would have to write for, well, a really long time. Mainly because I figured my little girls are, little. My oldest is only 8 years old, and yet it has started.

There is a disease out there, a disease of the brain which makes it completely shut down for several years except for the most vital of functions, such as breathing and talking on the phone. There is no immediate cure, simply having to wait it out until it runs it's course. This viral infection, I'm afraid, is boys. Not my son, I'm talking about boys who are around the same age as the females in my family.

I've worked very hard to inoculate my girls against it, talking about how dumb most boys are and how they're not worth the time. I let them know that boys fart ALL the time and that it's worse than girl farts, and even shown by example. So far it has worked, but I see an infection brewing in my oldest.

This first episode is not her fault, it's the boy's (it always is, unless we're talking about Lukas and then it's the girl's fault). I had no idea what was happening until my wife pointed out the little culprit (who will remain un-named until I feel the need to expose him). He just happens to be the brother of one of Lukas's little friends, and makes a point of walking his brother over here every time it's time for their playdate. Its by no means necessary, because his older sister is already walking him over, so he is just along for the ride. It wasn't always like this, usually the older sister would just walk the friend over, but now without fail, the brother is always there, and every time, I see his hopeful face at the front door drop when I answer, instead of Nikki, whereas when Nikki answers, its accompanied by "Hi Nikki! How are ya? Nice day we're having? Gosh you look pretty! Wanna go to the prom with me when we're in High School?" Ya know, stuff like that.

This was as far as it went, until the other day, when I was not here, and the boy brought over his little sibling to make an unscheduled play date (which I'm Ok with btw, it's what comes next that has me concerned). He did his usual thing and asked for Nikki, and then somehow managed to get invited in for a play date of his own... with my daughter.

He's good.

Should I be worried?

Not yet I don't think, and I wasn't until yesterday.

We were going to the jump-zone and Nikki was allowed to bring a friend along (don't worry, boy was not invited). The day was fun, no broken bones, everyone happy, and no fits, and then as we were driving home, I catch 2 simple words of the conversation my child is having with her friend, amidst the sports talk radio that I am listening to. I pause for a minute and think if I heard the words correctly and in the right context, but it's there, and there is no mistaking it. The words "Boy" and "Cute" in the same sentence. I gradually turn down the radio to listen more intently, but these girls are smart, and are wary of my dadly ways, and all conversation stops. So I try and make light of it,

"What are you girls talking about?" That's me being light.

"Nothing dad, just plain old girl stuff."

Her friend, "And certainly nothing about boys."

Crap, confirmation, she's no longer a little girl anymore and is growing up, something all fathers strive to prevent from the day that his little girl takes her first breath. Maybe it's just a little bit of jealousy, but for the next few years I was hoping that I would be the only man in her life, except Lukas of course.

On the other hand I see I have now located a source of future information. Nikki needs to stay friends with this one through high school, because she is what we call the spiller of all secrets, and does so in such a complete unknowing sort of way that she still believes she has kept the secret.

Or I could just talk to my daughter about it. I feel Nikki and I have a great relationship, mainly because she is a lot like me, and that is also what scares me about this next part of her life, because I know what I was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment